Thursday, January 7, 2010

3 Idiots

Nope... I am not writing anything on the movie....!! I guess enuf has been written and discussed on how good the movie is ,how good Aamir is and how Chetan Bhagat has got a raw deal from the producers!

3 Idiots only got me back to my school days in Meerut, UP. This movie got me nostalgic... of my school days. We were three good friends and all three different in our own ways! Yet something kept us together and we are best of friends till date. None of us were preachy and none of us was a role model to the other, yet we love each other as much today. All three of us came from different backgrounds.... one belonged to the joint family.... one from a defense background and one from a modern nuclear family, yet each of us loved spending time at the other's house. It was not just the three of us ... our friendship also got our families to know each other well. While none of them really attended my wedding we all attended each others sister's wedding. I took a dirty slow passenger train called Janata Express all the way from Calcutta to Delhi at the last moment to attend to the wedding of Vinni's sister's wedding (which became so much an issue with my senior's in college that I was blocked from booking train tickets for myself!!), the journey though was very interesting and very scary, coz it took me on a bihar UP darshan trip stopping at almost all stations on the way that too in an unlit compartment till 2 in the morning! How I survived the trip.... am sure I was surrounded by angels ....! But I really dont regret it... coz at the end of the journey I was with my friend and her family for a beautiful occasion and that was more important to cherish!
None of us was bookish intelligent.... but we all were quite bright. While Shivani and I always competed with each other for good scores in Accountancy and Economics but how I managed to top the school in our 12th boards is as much a mystery to me as much to Neetu who was the teachers pet and was considered to top it anyways!! I still remember how we never used to take our studies seriously and used to even laugh at the tution classes (specially maths) coz we never got a hang of it. But Shivani was a great foodie and she loved Idli dosas... thats where my amma came to the rescue! She loved eating South Indian food and I got crazy about UP food.... like Tehri and Kaali dal...!! To a great extent I think my love for food and subsequent graduation in Hotel Management would have initiated from here.
Vineeta on the other hand was not a foodie... but she was one NO NONSENSE person! I remember Vineeta and I would constantly be on logger heads and Shivani would become the peace maker for us. Shivani being the most beautiful girl is the school... used to get all the attention from boys and many of them even declared love for her.(thanks to our movies!!!). One such guy who accidently "dared" to disclose his so called love for Shivani .... got such an earful from Vineeta... that I really doubt if he would have ever fallen for any girl after that. Being the soft hearted person that I am... I thought she was rude to him... but I realise now how practical she was then. I can still get the best advice from her though she has mellowed down a bit post her marriage and a child.

Its strange that I met them almost 15 years back and been with them only for 2 years .... and yet they are the best things to happen to me (well.... before marriage and children),there are moments big and small that I still cherish and given a choice lead those years all over again with the same people, still.... ! Today three of us lead very different lives... while Shivani is an AVP with an investment firm.... Vineeta and I have settled well into our married life with children and are home makers. But we still take out time to talk... listen and be for each other whenever we need each other!
This movie, 3 idoits just got me back to those beautiful days just because the three of them are as diverse as all were.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nithya,

    It has been a long time Since I have penned. Things have kept me busy. H r u and ur kutties..

    Your article reminds me of my college days, unfortunately I have lost the touch with ppl..Well written..I feel it very realistic.. Keep in touch. I even read the memorable people..Happy new year to you!!

    Sri (hope u remember me, friends through parentree)

    ReplyDelete